Peanut Butter & Jelly Popsicles
Creamy peanut butter meets tart strawberries in this delicious, refreshing treat! Not only do these pops have that classic pb & j flavor, but they also contain healthy, natural ingredients, creating a wholesome snack or dessert!
The peanut butter and jelly sandwich has been a favorite among American children and adults for decades. This popular sandwich definitely carries a nostalgic flavor for me because of all those preschool playground picnics! Mom would always pack sandwiches with, (you guessed it!), creamy peanut butter and strawberry jam on whole wheat bread. As a child, PB&Js were a treat, especially on the rare occasion when we got to eat them on white bread!
Now, as an older teen, PB&J isn’t exactly my favorite sandwich in the world, but I still love the sweet and salty combination in other desserts. So, in honor of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I have created a new treat: PB&J popsicles!
These popsicles are absolutely delicious. They’re perfectly sweet with a nice balance of tart strawberry and salty peanut butter. If these don’t remind you of PB&Js, I don’t know what will! Check out the tasty, wholesome ingredients in these pops below:
Yes, you saw the picture correctly, only four ingredients are needed for this recipe! These ingredients are easy to find in your local grocery store and can be found any time of year.
Overripe Banana~ Bananas are great for naturally sweetening these pops and they also create a softer texture. And they’re a great source of potassium too!
Vanilla Yogurt~ I used low-fat vanilla yogurt, but you can use fat-free, whole milk or even greek yogurt. If you wish to use plain yogurt, you will need to add a few tablespoons of honey and a splash of vanilla extract to it.
Strawberries~ You can use fresh or frozen strawberries in this recipe. If you use frozen, be sure to thaw your strawberries in the microwave for a couple seconds before using.
Peanut Butter~ Creamy peanut butter is best in this recipe. You can use either all-natural or processed peanut butter. Although I haven’t experimented with any other nut butters, you could definitely try using almond butter or any other nut butter you wish.
The process for making these popsicles is simple and only requires a blender, a popsicle mold and a freezer.
You will need to divide a large banana in half and also divide your vanilla yogurt into two portions. First, add half the yogurt, half the banana and the peanut butter to your blender and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a bowl and set aside. Next, quickly rinse your blender, and then add to it the strawberries and the other half of the yogurt and banana. Blend until smooth. In four popsicle molds, alternate peanut butter and strawberry mixture so that you have stripes and swirls.
Freeze popsicles until solid and, after removing from the molds, enjoy! Serve for a healthy dessert, as a snack, or even breakfast. And you can choose to share, but I won’t blame you if you don’t. 🙂
Peanut Butter & Jelly Popsicles
- 1 blender
- 1 4-count popsicle mold
- 1 large overripe banana divided in half
- 3/4 cup vanilla yogurt divided in half
- 3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup whole strawberries, fresh or frozen and thawed about 5-6 medium size
- In your blender, add half of the banana, half of the vanilla yogurt and the peanut butter. Blend until smooth and then pour the mixture into a bowl. Set aside.
- Rinse your blender with water before adding to it: the other half of the banana, the other half of the vanilla yogurt and the strawberries. Blend until smooth.
- In your popsicle molds, alternate pouring the peanut butter mixture and the strawberry mixture so that stripes and swirls are formed in the molds.
- Insert popsicle sticks and freeze for 4-5 hours or overnight until frozen solid.
- Run warm water over the molds and gently tug on the sticks to release the popsicles. Enjoy immediately.